Friday, April 8, 2011

DIYers? More Like PSETDI (pay someone else to do it)!

My attempt at being a DIY (do-it-yourself) homeowner was short lived.  At our first house (built in 1933), I went to Lowe's to get a new shower faucet with the hopes of taking care of the minor fix myself.  I repeatedly asked the manager if I needed to "shut the water off" (not that I even knew how to do that), and he repeatedly laughed at the question and told me, "no, I've done this a thousand times."  When I went back to Lowe's an hour later, soaking wet from the water that sprayed all over me as I removed the knob, I knew my place in the home improvement world: work hard at my job, so that other people who know what they are doing can fix my house.

With that said, we will be doing nothing more than picking out fixtures and paint colors with this project!  Don't kid yourself, I stop by the house every day and talk with the contractors and nod my head as if I know what they are saying, and truly I am learning, but not enough to jump in there and do anything myself.

The general contractor for our job is Jeff Witt, owner of Witt Construction.  We stumbled upon Jeff by falling in love with two recent renovations in Mesta Park and Heritage Hills.  We thought we would be comfortable taking on a project like this if only we could find a contractor like the ones that had done these two homes.  Little did we know at the time that it was the same person who did both, Jeff Witt.  We figured it out, and I called him blind, and, as they say, the rest is history.  The homeowners of the two houses placed him on the path to sainthood, so I figured he must be our guy!

Check out the before and after of the two homes that Jeff previously renovated:

Mesta Park Before



Mesta Park After
Heritage Hills Before

Heritage Hills After
We think we are in great hands and hope our before and afters are half as good as these!

1 comment:

  1. Reagan, I couldn't agree more. I have spent more money trying to fix problems I created by trying to save money than I care to admit.

    When in doubt, hire it done!

    Project looks like it is coming along great, keep us updated, I'm adding you to my blog list now.

    ReplyDelete